Common Causes of Truck Accidents
The Most Frequent Causes of Truck Accidents
In the last 20 years, the number of motor vehicle accidents involving commercial trucks has increased dramatically (up to 20% by some estimates). Some of the increase can be attributed simply to the increased number of trucks on the roads. But there are other causes as well. Here are the principal factors that lead to truck accidents on the roadways across New Jersey and the United States.
Common Causes of Trucking Accidents
It may or may not come as a surprise that, according to a study conducted by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, the single most common cause of truck accidents is the use of prescription drugs or controlled substances, accounting for more than one in four accidents. The FMCSA determined that the use of these drugs affected driver reaction time, leading to accidents.
The second most common cause was excessive speed, found to be a factor in 23% of all accidents. Other significant factors include:
- Driver fatigue, considered a factor in 13% of reported accidents
- Driver error, including failure to properly check blind spots, or failure to use a turn signal
- Driver distraction, from the use of cell phones or attention to truck stereo to distractions such as road construction or accidents
- Lack of familiarity with the road or area in which the driver is traveling contributed to 22% of the accidents reported
- Lack of skill or training was also a factor in 7% of the accidents reported. This included an inability to properly maneuver a commercial truck, or to take reasonable evasive action when necessary.
- Overly aggressive driving, including instances of road rage behind the wheel, was considered to be a factor in 7% of all truck accidents.
Contact Our Office
At the office of Harold J. Gerr, Attorney at Law, we have fought for the rights of personal injury victims in central New Jersey for more than three decades. We carefully choose the cases we handle, so that we can provide the highest levels of service and personal attention to each client. We are also happy to take over your case, if your first lawyer does not seem to have your best interests in mind.