New Brunswick Personal Injury Lawyers: Protect Your Rights When Injured on a Bus
With the escalating cost of gas and increased congestion on the roads, many people are choosing to use public transportation, including buses, to commute to work, entertainment or other necessities of life. Unfortunately, many bus companies have inexperienced or poorly trained drivers, who either can’t handle a large vehicle or fail to use appropriate care. Additionally, with the pressure to keep to tight schedules, many bus drivers have little time to respond to potentially dangerous situations, or take unreasonable risks to stay on schedule.
Bus passengers could encounter many dangerous situations, resulting in injuries or accidents, such as:
- A driver may start to move the bus forward before you have completely stepped off
- A driver may fail to observe ice or snow at the bus stop, and you may slip getting off the bus
- The bus driver may take a corner at too high a rate of speed, or may abruptly stop, causing you to be thrown against the inside of the bus, or against another passenger
- Your child may get off a bus and be hit by a car
- You or a loved one may be disabled and need special attention getting off a bus, but the driver neglects your need
In all of the above cases, there’s a good chance that you have a case to seek compensation for any injuries or losses sustained. In New Jersey, buses are considered to be “common carriers.” As common carriers, they are held to a higher standard of care, and their employees are required to exercise “the utmost degree of care” when in operation. This duty applies not only to the actions they must take to minimize the risk of a collision, but also to measure they must take to avoid falls or other types of injuries on or around the bus.
Contact Our Office
At the Law Offices of Harold J. Gerr, we have fought for the rights of personal injury victims in central New Jersey for more than four decades. We carefully choose the cases we handle, so that we can provide the highest levels of service and personal attention to each client. We are also happy to take over your case, if your first lawyer does not seem to have your best interests in mind.