Play Video
Firm Logo

Motor Vehicle Accidents Involving Drunk Drivers

When you have been injured in a car accident where the person causing the accident was intoxicated, the process of recovering for your losses can be challenging. Unfortunately, many drunk drivers are repeat offenders. As repeat offenders, they may be unable to afford adequate auto insurance, or may have no insurance at all.

Uninsured and Underinsured Motorists Coverage

If the person who caused your injury has no insurance, or has only insurance to cover his or her own property damage, there are a number of options you can pursue to seek compensation for your losses. The first is to check your own insurance policy to determine whether you have coverage for collisions involving uninsured or underinsured motorists. Most insurers offer this type of coverage, but it is customarily in the form of a rider on your policy—you typically have to opt in to the coverage and pay an additional premium for it. If you do have coverage, you will be able to go directly through your own insurance provider to recover some compensation for your injuries.

Of course, trying to determine whether your policy covers you in the event you are hurt by an uninsured or underinsured driver can be challenging. Insurance policies are legal contracts, and the language can be confusing and daunting. You can ask your agent whether you have coverage, but your interests are best served by having an attorney review your policy and take the appropriate action to get coverage.

Actions Against Third Parties

When seeking damages for a personal injury, you can pursue compensation from anyone who was potentially liable for your injuries. With respect to drunk driving accidents, you may be able to obtain financial compensation from:

  • A bar, restaurant, tavern, liquor store or even a private individual who knowingly sold or provided alcohol to the person causing the accident, if the person was visibly intoxicated or the amount provided was enough to intoxicate them
  • A rehab facility or treatment center, if it can be shown that the center failed to adequately provide treatment or make assessments about the perpetrator’s recovery status

Contact the Office of Harold J. Gerr Today

We offer a free case evaluation to anyone who has been involved in an accident involving a drunk driver in New Jersey. For a meeting, contact us online or call us at 732-537-8570 for an appointment. We are available to meet with you between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m., Monday through Friday. Evening and weekend consultations are also available upon request, and we will travel to meet with you.

$500 K

Car Accident With Government Vehicle

$845 K

Commercial Truck Accident

$500 K

School Bus Accident

$1 M

Pedestrian Accident


top 100 Awardtop 100 Award
Crime Victim Bar AwardCrime Victim Bar Award
American Association for Justice AwardAmerican Association for Justice Award
Middlesex County Bar AwardMiddlesex County Bar Award
NJ Bar AwardNJ Bar Award
distinguished awarddistinguished award
Brain Injury AwardBrain Injury Award
BBB AwardBBB Award
Play Video
"Mr. Gerr helped me a great deal following a head injury I incurred. He was knowledgeable, competent, kind and reassuring. I highly recommend him."
  • Location Icon

    The Law Offices Of Harold J, Gerr

    47 Raritan Ave., 2nd Floor,Highland Park, NJ 08904

    732-537-8570 | 732-249-4600

    Fax: 732-249-0643

    Map + Directions
© 2024 The Law Offices of Harold J. Gerr. All Rights Reserved.Disclaimer.Site Map.