What Happens If My Uber/Lyft Driver is in an Accident?
Ridesharing, provided by companies such as Uber and Lyft, are growing in popularity and users. As these companies continue to grow, so does the risk for car accidents. What happens if you are injured in an Uber or Lyft car accident? Who is liable for your injuries?
Uber provides a $1 million liability insurance policy that covers their driver, which in turn, covers their passengers that are injured in an accident. The exception is that the Uber policy only goes into effect if the Uber driver or the other driver responsible for the accident does not have enough bodily injury coverage on their own insurance policy.
Uber drivers are considered independent contractors. As such, Uber can deny liability in a car accident that results in injury. Uber’s $1 million policy provides coverage for a car accident that occurs between their driver and an uninsured motorist, or in the event of a hit-and-run accident. Uber’s coverage drops to a maximum of $50,000 in liability if an accident occurs before an Uber driver picks up their customer.
When the Uber driver is responsible for the accident, the claims must first go through their insurance carrier. If the other driver is at fault, injured victims will process their claims through that driver’s insurance policy. If that driver has insufficient coverage, victims may be covered under Uber’s underinsured policy.
What If I Am Injured in an Uber Car Accident?
A car accident can happen at anytime, even to the most safety conscious driver. If you are involved in an accident as a passenger in an Uber ridesharing vehicle, it is important to know what steps to take to ensure your injuries are covered.
- Assess and stabilize all injuries and call 911, if necessary
- Call the local or state police so an official police report is available
- When possible, take photos of the accident scene, including damage to all vehicles involved and the accident scene itself, including road conditions and any skid marks
- Be sure to get the driver’s license and insurance information from the Uber driver as well as all other drivers involved in the crash
- Record witness testimony and obtain their contact information for future reference
- Keep copies and receipts for all emergency room visits, hospitalizations, doctor appointments, and prescription medications
- Call your own insurance company to report the accident and your injuries
- Consult with an experienced car accident lawyer to ensure your legal rights are protected and you claim the maximum amount of compensation available
Highland Park Car Accident Lawyers at the Law Offices of Harold J. Gerr Provide Representation for Victims of Ridesharing Accidents
If you were a passenger involved in an Uber or Lyft car accident, you may be entitled to compensation. Call the Highland Park car accident lawyers at the Law Offices of Harold J. Gerr at 732-249-4600 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation today. Located in Highland Park, New Jersey, we serve clients throughout New Brunswick, Somerset, Piscataway, Edison, South River, Sayreville, Metuchen, East Brunswick, South Plainfield, Fords, Middlesex, Old Bridge, Iselin, Bound Brook, Perth Amboy, and Colonia.